As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Argh f*cking autosave (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Argh f*cking autosave
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
Re:Argh f*cking autosave 12 Years, 5 Months ago
There's complexity, and there's unintuitiveness in the way things are done (with regards to saving/restoring), and I think the stuff darenager is talking about falls under the second category.
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
darenager wrote:
I saved the project, did some work on the pattern, turned machine off, next day turned machine on, OT loaded project just as it was before, MD sent some data (my error) messed up pattern, I assumed that since the OT had loaded the pattern correctly between a power cycle that the backup would be the state of the pattern just prior to turning off, but when I loaded the backup it was an earlier state.

Please tell me the advantage of it being contrary to what I assumed, and that by me having to perform another save is somehow beneficial, rather than it just reloading what it loaded when I turned it on.

What do you mean you saved the project?
Didi you save a backup or just did a card sync?
If you saved the backup then you should have had no problem. If you did cardsync then the backup was older than the cardsync you performed.
I am just saying that if you had saved your part just before starting to work and after messing things up with the midi error then a reload of only the saved part would have been enough.
When OT powercycles it loads whatever it resided in RAM memory when you shut it down, not your backup or your card sync. Tou should clarify these meanings in order to save properly your project.
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
kraftf wrote:

When OT powercycles it loads whatever it resided in RAM memory when you shut it down, not your backup or your card sync. Tou should clarify these meanings in order to save properly your project.

Case in point; this is exactly what's wrong with the OT. People should not have to be computer/electrical engineers to do a bloody save/restore! Actually, I am one, and I still find this beyond ridiculous (but I still love the OT for all the other goodness )
Chain Chomp
poonti wrote:
kraftf wrote:

Case in point; this is exactly what's wrong with the OT. People should not have to be computer/electrical engineers to do a bloody save/restore! Actually, I am one, and I still find this beyond ridiculous (but I still love the OT for all the other goodness )

Yeah I can agree that it can be tricky to handle the save procces but still you have to be able to do it. Anyway I don't think it's a big issue.if they maybe change the wording of the save functions then things will eventually be more natural to everybody.
I personally think that OT is very cleverly designed but it lacks some polish to be just perfect.
Remmeber these words after some OS updates.
Game & Watch
Kraftf - By saved I mean saved project.

No argument from me that the OT is cleverly designed and will certainly get better with OS updates, I have a very long standing relationship with Elektron gear so know this to be the case.

But even if no other features were added, it is still a kickass machine, and my comments should not be taken as negative, quite the opposite - I feel that certain operational functions and in some areas a lack of immediacy/intuitiveness are turning people off of the OT, to my mind these issues could easily be overcome without sacrifice to the integrity or design of the machine. Assuming I am correct in this, then surely this is good for everyone, Elektron, existing users, new users.
Go to top Post Reply